Legend has it that King Leopold II of Belgium had this proud mansion built over the Seine Valley in 1908 as a royal love nest for him and his mistress Blanche de Vaughan. According to a more provocative version, the house may have been built for ‘Baroness Wülf’, actually a common and successful socialite who was born in the neighbouring village of Freneuse. She allegedly needed a select place in which to treat her Parisian “friends”.
La Corniche, which is located in Rolleboise, was turned into a hotel in the 1920s and had several owners until Mr Picard made it a hot spot for the Parisian jetset in the 1970s. Active in the Parisian nightlife, he managed to attract the VIP clientele of the fashionable Paris clubs and restaurants such as Fouquet’s and the Bus Palladium. The place was relabelled “Chateau de la Corniche”, becoming the trendiest venue in the West of Paris, and one of the first “Relais et Châteaux”.
The subsequent owners didn’t follow suit, but Jérôme Crépatte bought the “Chateau de la Corniche” in 2004 and progressively restored its reputation.
Entirely renovated by architects Axel André and Xavier Brunnquel, the estate was once again relabelled as the Domaine de la Corniche, including four separate buildings: the Manor house, the Forestière, the Jeannette and Spaquana.
The Domaine de la Corniche was awarded four stars in 2012 and now combines refined elegance and art of living. It has 44 rooms decorated in a modern colourful style, a gourmet restaurant, a wine bar, and a 600m² Spa designed by Carita and Cinq Mondes.
Situated within an hour’s drive from Paris and only minutes away from the famous village of Giverny and Claude Monet’s gardens in Normandy, the Domaine de la Corniche has become an ideal getaway for romantic weekends or for tours of the impressionists’ valley.